Where is Little Winnick? To help you get to know the area around us the next few blogs will let you in on our favourite places just a stones throw from Little Winnick.
So, let’s start with our nearest village – we are located on the edge of Pentewan, a pretty, sleepy fishing harbour, long since forgotten important hub of china clay export, now boasts a wonderful beach where you will find the mothership of campsites – Pentewan Sands – complete opposite of our site, but great friends of ours offering a great site. Pentewan is now a small harbour, with heaps of history. Take the time to read the information boards around the harbour about Pentewan’s history, it has a fascinating past.
Pentewan village itself is dinky, but perfectly formed. You can reach it by heading out on the cycle trail. On foot the flat, sometimes muddy trail takes about 30 minutes, on bike about 15 minutes. It is fully bike and pushchair friendly.
What can you find in Pentewan?
- Pentewan Beach, now owned by Pentewan Sands but open to locals. The stunning beach is a brilliant place to launch boats from, take a paddle or just enjoy the view. Dogs are not permitted between 1st March and 1st November. You can park in Pentewan Sands, they have pay and display machines.
- Cornwall Watersports – Beccy, Steve & family offer hire and tuition of all sorts of watersports – this is where my love of stand up paddle boarding was born. Book in with Beccy, maybe you will develop a new hobby too?
- The Hubbox – on the beach, this has to have one of the best views in Cornwall. One of my all-time favourite places, their burgers and milkshakes are pretty special, and the view. What can I say – you need to try this place. Open to everyone, it is a lovely way to spend an evening…you will probably bump into me down there!
- Car parking – there is a small car park in the village, from the summer of 2019 this will have a charge to park.
- The Ship Inn – a great pub offering local food and ales with a huge beer garden you will always find a seat.
- Little Bay Café – this small café offers amazing, freshly made cakes and the best hot chocolate I have ever tried. Seriously, a must visit treat.
- Into the Woods – this retro bar is very popular with locals and holiday makers for it’s pool tables and music.
- Dive School – contact Dave for all your diving needs.
- You will find a small selection of watersport shops where you can buy or hire equipment.
- South West Coastal Path – pick up the stunning path that hugs the cliffs to Charlestown or head towards Mevagissey.
- Pentewan Valley Cycle Trail. Hire bikes and explore the valley. You can head up to Heligan and on to Mevagissey or back towards St Austell. All a lovely trail to explore.
- Public toilets, I have a feeling they cost 20p a use now…but can’t remember!
- A bus stop! The bus from outside Little Winnick stops on the edge of the village.
Pentewan really is lovely, you could spend many a day down in the village, the locals are super welcoming and the view out to sea is so special. It really is one of my favourite places…and it is right on our doorstep so make sure you add it to your places to visit.