This Sunday I cooked a pretty mean roast (even if I do say so myself). I love a roast whether I cook it or someone else cooks it for me and with a slight change in the weather what better excuse is there to join family and friends around the table for what is one of my favourite meals. A good roast for me needs Yorkshires, cauliflower cheese, rich gravy and obviously a lovely bit of medium rare roast beef. Heaven. Cornwall, amongst other things does a good roast, so here is my top five:
- The Kingswood – just up the road from Little Winnick, Head Chef Tom promises a real treat of a roast – book to avoid disappointment.
- The Longstore, Charlestown – famous for their large roasts we cannot wait to head back here from 17th September.
- The Idle Rocks, St Mawes. At the top end of the price bracket this is a ‘treat roast’. We went there back in June for Richard’s birthday and I cannot wait to head back over the winter. Stunning food with great views too.
- The Polgooth Inn. A proper Cornish pub that offers great food, family and dog friendly. It does get busy so book to make sure you get a table.
- The Carlyon Bay Hotel is seen by many locals as the ultimate go to place. A real treat. Their Sunday lunches are renowned and don’t disappoint. The family friendly hotel has an air of yester-year and forgotten charm to it. The children have hours of fun playing pitch and putt on the front lawn over looking St Austell Bay whilst we enjoy a well deserved G&T!
As I type Richard is out cutting grass, Anna (our youngest) is asleep in our back office and Mike has his feet up. Thank you to all the kind well-wishers. Mike is recovering well and has listened to doctor’s orders and is taking it easy. Running a campsite is a fun juggling act; this week’s challenge is trying to cut pitches when the sun shines…which is proving very, very tricky at the moment. With warm rain the grass and brambles grow at 100mph but the ‘windows’ to get out and keep on top of it all are few and far between at the moment. We are hoping for some sunshine for the weekend…hopefully!